Pasadena’s Premier Car Accident Lawyer – Roger W. Lopez
What should you do if you are involved in an automobile accident?
- Pull your vehicle to a safe area if possible.
- Contact the police to take a collision report, regardless if any of the parties have suffered a major injury. Many people avoid this step, especially if the other party admits fault. Do not leave the accident scene without obtaining a traffic collision report. Although a party may admit fault, it should not come to surprise that many of these same people give their insurance company a completely different version of events. A solid police report will help ensure that incriminating statements are written on paper by an authority of the law at time one is most likely to make admissions of guilt.
- Take photographs of the accident scene, vehicles involved, and any visible injuries you may have suffered.
- Seek immediate medical attention. If you are hurt in any manner, it is very critical that you receive immediate treatment for your injuries. If for any reason you are unable to make arrangements with a medical doctor, our office will refer you to a doctor that will work on a lien in an area to your convenience. Lately, insurance companies have perceived a lack of treatment in the first week of an auto accident as a sign that you are not hurt as result of the auto accident, even in the most serious of accidents.
- Do not make any statements toward liability or the accident itself to the adverse party for any reason.
- If the circumstances allow it, obtain the information for the other party. At this time, obtain the name, address, telephone number, insurance company, the policy number, license plate number, VIN number (located on the front windshield), driver’s license number of all other involved parties. Read the policy card carefully and make sure it is a valid policy and one that has not expired. At times, the injuries to either party may be severe and not allow the opportunity to obtain the insurance information. If this is the case, the police officer at the scene would collect the information and make it available for both parties on the police report. Our office will immediately order this report to obtain insurance information and open the claim immediately.
- Call Pasadena Car accident lawyer Roger W. Lopez – 626.796.4015. It is very important that you make no statements about the nature of your auto accident to any insurance company before first consulting with an attorney. Do not take the insurance companies’ perceived friendliness as an invitation to easily resolve your claim. Many of these companies take advantage of unrepresented parties to obtain incriminating statements to blame you for the accident or to devalue your claim. Remember, it is the insurance company’s job to limit your settlement.
- Once you have retained an attorney’s services, do not discuss your claim with the insurance company for any reason. Redirect any calls from the insurance company to your attorney’s office.